Arma 3 Getting Creator DLC Based on the Vietnam War
Bohemia Interactive and third-party developer Savage Game Design have announced the release of new creative DLC for Arma 3, based on the Vietnam War. The new DLC, titled S.O.G. Prairie Fire, takes players to Vietnam and offers a historical military sandbox experience of unprecedented scale in video games. The new S.O.G. Prairie Fire DLC is scheduled for release in Q2. It comes out in the fourth quarter of 2021 and costs $22.99.
The name S.O.G. Prairie Fire DLC refers to the Military Assistance Command, Vietnam – Survey and Observation Group (MACV-SOG). It was a U.S. Special Forces unit created in 1964 to conduct covert operations in Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia. This audience will play a central role in the DLC’s cooperative multiplayer campaign. To make the DLC as realistic as possible, the developers worked closely with U.S. Special Forces veterans who served in the MACV-SOG before it was deactivated in 1972, as well as Vietnamese advisors.
Among the main features of the upcoming Arma 3 DLC in Vietnam:
- Cam Lao Nam Terrain – Explore a unique 300-square-mile area representing the entire Vietnam War, including the Ho Chi Minh Trail that ran from North Vietnam through neighboring Laos and Cambodia to South Vietnam.
- 4 Factions – Fight as the US Army (including MACV-SOG secret special forces), the Army of the Republic of Vietnam (ARVN), the People’s Army of Vietnam (PAVN) or the Viet Cong. All parties are provided with their own uniforms and equipment.
- Over 50 Weapons – Fight your enemy with detailed replicas of pistols, revolvers, shotguns, grenade launchers and a variety of weapon accessories. Your arsenal will be replenished with deadly grenades, traps and other special items.
- Over 50 vehicles and static weapons (including variants) – Fight in the jungles, mountains, cities, rivers and islands of Vietnam with multiple variants of helicopters, boats, light tanks, cars, trucks, static weapons, a jet plane, five small boats and two motorcycles.
- Cooperative Multiplayer Campaign – Play as a member of the MACV-SOG covert recon team in the middle of enemy territory in a fully voice-activated campaign of 6 highly playable cooperative missions for up to 14 players.
- 9 Multiplayer Scenarios – Play 9 new scenarios in the official Arma 3 modes: End Game, Warlords, Zeus and Escape. Bonus ash and trash missions with routine helicopter missions around the beautiful countryside and sights of Cam Lao Nam.
- 5 Single Player Scenarios – Explore the weapons, vehicles and equipment used during the Vietnam War in two new demonstration scenarios. In addition, for both MACV and PAVN, there is a mission that introduces you to jungle combat from every angle. The bonus mission Ash & Trash can also be played in the single player mode.
- Sound and effects – Experience Vietnam with immersive sound carefully designed to reproduce the sounds of guerrilla warfare in the jungle: the screams of wild animals, the bustling vegetation, Charlie’s soft whispers, the impact of bullets, explosions and the cries of the wounded.
- Music – Listen to an atmospheric rock and blues soundtrack and a film score written on Vietnamese instruments. Players can tune in to the in-game radio station, which also broadcasts original news from the Vietnamese armed forces and advertisements that were broadcast at the time.
Additional Content – S.O.G. Prairie Fire has been enhanced with various modules and items that can be used when downloading the DLC. This includes custom systems for combat logistics, artillery and air support, short-range combat and more – as well as 100 food, potion and medical items and over 150 building structures and forts that can be used to support community-generated content and game types.
Bohemia Interactive and Savage Game Design have also announced a small closed beta test for the next two weeks. This will allow some members of the Arma 3 community to test the new DLC and report any remaining technical issues regarding playback on different PC configurations. To ensure there are no compatibility issues for non-DLC owners, Savage Game Design will also be releasing a compatibility data pack on the Arma 3 Steam Workshop.
This compatibility pack allows players who do not own S.O.G. Prairie Fire to play on multiplayer servers with DLC components. Players will also be able to inspect the game’s new resources before making the final decision to purchase the DLC. However, full access to the DLC, which includes the Cam Lao Nam terrain, campaigns and single-player scenarios, is exclusive to DLC owners. It will also include restrictions on the use of in-game DLC assets by non-owners.
No release date has been confirmed yet, but for more information you can visit the project’s official page or its Steam page, where you can add it to your wishlist.
Looking forward to going back to Arma 3 and trying out the new Vietnam DLC? Let us know your comments in the section below.